An in vivo systematic genetic analysis of tumour progression in Drosophila - RNAi line: 8894
MetadataShow full item record
Metastasis is the leading cause of death for cancer patients. Consequently it is imperative that we improve our understanding of the molecular mechanisms that underlie progression of tumour growth towards malignancy. Advances in genome characterisation technologies have been very successful in identifying commonly mutated or misregulated genes in a variety of human cancers. A major challenge however is the translation of these findings to new biological insight due to the difficulty in evaluating whether these candidate genes drive tumour progression. Using the genetic amenability of Drosophila melanogaster we generated tumours with specific genotypes in the living animal and carried out a detailed systematic loss-of-function analysis to identify numerous conserved genes that enhance or suppress epithelial tumour progression. This enabled the discovery of functional cooperative regulators of invasion and the establishment of a network of conserved ‘invasion suppressors’. RNAi line: 8894 (III) Source: VDRC Name: Trp1 (1) Full name: Translocation protein 1 Also known as: Dtrp1 Annotation symbol: CG4758 FlyBase ID: FBgn0011584 File naming convention: File names typically contain representations of date (DDMMYY), RNAi Line, Animal Number and, in some cases, window (to accommodate larger samples that require multiple image stacks)
- Cancer -- Molecular aspects
- Cancer -- Genetic aspects
- Neoplasm Metastasis
- Molecular Biology
- Neoplasms -- genetics
- Drosophila, cancer, invasion, metastasis, screen, RNAi, lgl, tumour suppressor, invasion suppressor
- Biological Sciences::Zoology::Cell zoology
- Biological Sciences::Biology::Cell biology
- Biological Sciences::Genetics::Medical & veterinary genetics
- Q Science::QL Zoology::QL360 Invertebrates
- Q Science::QH Natural history. Biology::QH426 Genetics
- Q Science::QH Natural history. Biology::QH201 Microscopy
- R Medicine::RC Internal medicine::RC 254 Neoplasms. Tumors. Oncology (including Cancer)
- University of Nottingham, UK Campus::Faculty of Medicine and Health Sciences::School of Life Sciences
Data typeImage files
- Canales Coutino, Brenda
- Cornhill, Zoe E.
- Couto, Africa
- Mack, Natalie A.
- Rusu, Alexandra D.
- Nagarajan, Usha
- Fan, Yuen Ngan
- Hadjicharalambous, Marina R.
- Lourdusamy, Anbarasu
- Castellanos Uribe, Marcos
- May, Sean T.
- Rahman, Ruman
- Cancer Research UK
- C36430, A12891
- October 2012 - April 2017
Data collection methodLive imaging was performed with either a Leica SP2 inverted confocal microscope equipped with a × 40/1.25 NA oil objective with PL APO correction, a Zeiss LSM880 inverted confocal microscope equipped with a x 40/ 1.30 NA oil Ph3 M27 objective or a Zeiss LSM5 Exciter AxioObserver equipped with an EC Plan-NeoFluar × 40/1.30 oil lens. Z-series were acquired using 1 μm z-sectioning.